Eighteen tourists belonging to Daska were swept away in the Swat River near Mingora Bypass, according to rescue officials.
According to the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Rescue 1122, eleven tourists are confirmed dead, and two have been rescued, while seven tourists are reportedly missing.
Swat Assistant Commissioner Dr Nida Iqbal said the Swat administration had already imposed Section 144 a week ago, keeping in view the incoming flash floods in the river.
She said seven tourists lost their lives and their bodies were evacuated from the Swat River, while three people have been rescued so far.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Rescue 1122 director general said 80 personnel are taking part in the rescue operation to locate the remaining individuals.
Following the tragic incident, Malakand Division Commissioner Abid Wazir has announced a formal inquiry to determine any negligence.
Speaking to the media, the commissioner said that the administration took immediate action after the flash flood swept through the area. “Four people were rescued alive on the spot, while eight bodies have been recovered so far. The search for six missing persons is still underway,” he confirmed.
He further stated that Section 144 has been in effect in Swat since June 2, and 45 violations have been registered so far. He also revealed that more than 72,000 tourists were unexpectedly stranded and had to be evacuated as the situation escalated.
“An inquiry will be conducted wherever any negligence is found,” Abid Wazir assured.
Meanwhile, Swat Deputy Commissioner Shahzad Mehboob emphasized that the local administration had taken preventive measures prior to the incident.
“Warning signs were installed along the Swat River to prevent tourists from approaching dangerous areas,” he said. “We once again urge all tourists to stay away from the river and follow official guidelines.”
Swat River tragedy: Family members reveal actual incident
Family members of the victims who drowned in the Swat River shared heartbreaking details while speaking to Samaa TV.
According to them, the incident occurred suddenly as they were enjoying their morning.
"We had come from Daska to visit Swat," said Rana Ahmed Ali, a relative of the affected family. "While we were having breakfast, some of the children and adults went near the river to take selfies."
The family explained that a sudden surge of water trapped their loved ones in the river, leaving them with no chance to escape. "The water came unexpectedly, and they were all caught in it," Rana Ahmed Ali said.
The affected family further shared that the strong current posed significant challenges for rescue workers, making it extremely difficult to reach those stranded in the river.
Rescue operations remain ongoing as the search for missing individuals continues.
Victims identified
Six of the victims of the tragedy have been identified, including the wife of Sialkot-based Abdul Salam and his two young daughters, Shermin and Tazmin. Among the deceased are also Mohsin’s wife, their daughter Mariam, and Muhammad Ayan.
Moreover, the bodies of Ashal, daughter of Naseer; and Farman, son of Hussain, both from Mardan, were recovered and shifted to the hospital.
Meanwhile, the search continues for five people still missing, including two sisters Ashal and Anfal, as well as Haima and Abdullah. Rescue teams remain tirelessly engaged in the effort, with every passing moment marked by a tense mix of hope and despair for families waiting for news.
KP govt spokesperson shares update on rescue op
A Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) government spokesperson said heavy monsoon floods in the Swat River trapped at least 75 people at various locations along the Bypass Road.
Timely rescue operations successfully saved 58 people, while eight bodies have been recovered so far and 10 people are still missing as rescue efforts continue.
The spokesperson said the government has launched extensive rescue operations at eight different sites, with 105 personnel actively participating. The strong river currents are posing significant challenges for the rescue teams.
The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has released a preliminary report detailing the devastation caused by flooding in the Swat River, confirming that only three out of 18 members of the same family trapped in floodwaters near the Swat Bypass at 8:30am have been rescued so far.
According to the report, eight bodies have been recovered from various locations across Swat, while ten individuals remain missing. In response to the disaster, the local administration has ordered the closure of all hotels, restaurants, and commercial activities along the Swat River to prevent further incidents.
The report further stated that a joint operation by the district administration and local volunteers has so far led to the recovery of six bodies, while nine people are still missing, with search efforts extending into Malakand district.
Most of the victims are said to be residents of Daska district in Punjab and Mardan district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur has announced financial compensation for the families of the deceased and formed a high-level inquiry committee, headed by the chairman of the Chief Minister's Inspection Team, to investigate the incident.
Further details from the report indicate that at least 10 individuals were swept away by floodwaters near Relax Hotel on the Swat Bypass, of which three bodies have been recovered. Similarly, at the Ghaligay location, seven people were reported missing, with one body recovered so far and search efforts still underway.
The statement also confirmed that a total of 75 people were trapped by rising waters on the bypass road, out of which 58 have been successfully rescued.
Pakistan Army joins rescue operation
Pakistan Army troops have arrived in Swat to assist in managing the ongoing flood emergency and are actively participating in rescue and relief operations alongside Rescue 1122 teams.
According to military sources, the army units are fully equipped with essential rescue gear and are working tirelessly to support local authorities in saving lives.
So far, three people have been successfully rescued, while the bodies of seven victims have been recovered from the floodwaters.
The Pakistan Army has confirmed that additional troops will be deployed if the situation worsens.
The military remains committed to standing with the civil administration in this challenging time to ensure timely rescue efforts and provide relief to affected families.
Swat City mayor
Swat City Mayor Shahid Ali confirmed that a flood alert was issued around 8am after reports of a sudden rise in water levels.
According to Mayor Shahid Ali, the tourists were guests from Punjab who were sitting near the riverbank unaware of the flood warnings.
"These visitors from Punjab did not know about the flash flood. We had already issued the alert, but by the time rescue teams and I reached the site, significant damage had already occurred," he said.
The tragic incident resulted in 15 people drowning. So far, three have been rescued, and the bodies of two victims have been recovered. Search operations for the remaining missing individuals are ongoing at various points along the river.
The district administration, rescue teams, and local volunteers are actively participating in the rescue efforts. "We are trying to complete the operation as quickly as possible," Mayor Shahid Ali stated.
Authorities have appealed to tourists to stay away from the riverbanks to prevent further accidents.
Meanwhile, another group of people trapped near the Sangota area is also being evacuated by rescue teams.
PDMA issues high alert for Swat River flooding
Following the tragic loss of lives in Swat, the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has issued a high alert, warning of a potential extreme flood in the Swat River.
According to PDMA, the water level at Khwaza Khela in the Swat River has surged to 77,782 cusecs, prompting authorities to declare an emergency flood warning for the region.
Due to heavy rainfall, the districts of Peshawar, Charsadda, and Nowshera have also been placed on high alert. The PDMA has issued directives for immediate precautionary measures to safeguard human lives, properties, crops, and livestock.
Senator Mushtaq demands FIR against district administration
Following the tragic drowning incident in the Swat River, former Senator Mushtaq Ahmed Khan has strongly condemned the negligence of the local administration and demanded that an FIR be registered against the Swat district authorities.
"I extend my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families," said Senator Mushtaq Ahmed Khan. "The sheer incompetence of the administration has turned tourism into a nightmare."
He further alleged that the government and local administration are profiting from sand and gravel extraction contracts from the Swat River, calling them "gold mines" for officials. "These unchecked activities have turned the Swat River into a river of death," he added.
Senator Mushtaq criticized the failure of the authorities despite prior warnings. "It is deeply concerning that the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) had already issued an alert yesterday, yet the district administration took no preventive measures."
He said that the victims kept pleading for rescue for over an hour, but no one from the district administration responded. "This is not just bad governance; this is murderous governance," the senator stated firmly.
His remarks have intensified the ongoing debate about the lack of timely response and preparedness by local authorities in disaster situations.
Swat family alleges delayed rescue response in tragic drowning incident
The grieving family in Swat has alleged that the Rescue 1122 team was informed in time about the emergency at the Swat River, but they arrived more than an hour later.
The family claims that the delay in response contributed to the tragic loss of their loved ones.
According to the affected family, when the rescue personnel initially arrived, they said they had no equipment capable of handling the fast-flowing waters. "They told us they didn’t have the necessary arrangements, and the river’s current was too strong," the family stated.
The family further added that after 15 to 20 minutes, another rescue vehicle came but the team informed them they did not have a boat. "They still tried to assist, but eventually they left as the water flow became dangerously high."
The family claims the proper rescue team arrived only after their loved ones had already been swept away by the floodwaters.
Local authorities have yet to formally respond to these allegations. The incident raises serious concerns about emergency preparedness and the timely availability of rescue resources in the region.
Punjab CM Maryam Nawaz expresses grief
Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz has expressed deep sorrow over the tragic incident in which 18 members of the same family drowned in the Swat River.
In a message of condolence, CM Maryam Nawaz extended heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved families and prayed for their strength and patience during this difficult time.
The Chief Minister also prayed for the safe recovery of those still missing in the river and hoped that the rescue operations would soon bring positive news.
Lower Dir: Four drown in Panjkora River
In Lower Dir, four people, including two women and two children, drowned in the Panjkora River near the Khazana Bypass. Rescue teams confirmed the victims were on their way to work by the riverside when they were swept away by strong currents. Search and recovery efforts are still in progress.
Separately, in the Munda area, an elderly man fell into a seasonal stream but was safely rescued by emergency responders.
Jhelum: Two killed in rickshaw accident in rainwater stream
In Jhelum, two individuals drowned when a loader rickshaw attempted to cross a rainwater stream recklessly near the Domeli police jurisdiction. Police arrested the rickshaw driver, Yasir, for negligence, stating that his irresponsible act led to the tragic deaths.
According to authorities, six other passengers managed to swim to safety. The incident occurred when the rickshaw was swept away by the strong current while crossing the stream.
Depalpur: Car plunges into canal, driver dies
In another tragic incident near the Pakistani Bridge in Depalpur, a speeding car skidded and plunged into a canal. Rescue teams successfully saved four children from the vehicle, but the driver drowned and could not be revived. The body has been handed over to the family, while the rescued children were taken to the hospital for medical attention.







