Wednesday, January 26, 2022  | 22 Jamadilakhir, 1443
Samaa TV
Facebook Twitter Youtube
HOME > Uncategorized

South Korea declares end of MERS outbreak: Yonhap

SAMAA | - Posted: Jul 28, 2015 | Last Updated: 7 years ago
SAMAA |
Posted: Jul 28, 2015 | Last Updated: 7 years ago

SEOUL: South Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-Ahn on Tuesday declared the deadly outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) was over, Yonhap news agency reported.

Thirty-six people died out of the 186 infected in the MERS outbreak, the biggest of the virus outside Saudi Arabia, following the first diagnosis on May 20.

“After weighing various circumstances, the medical personnel and the government judge that the people can now be free from worry,” Hwang said in a meeting with government officials, Yonhap reported.

The outbreak has taken a toll on Asia's fourth largest economy, stifling consumer spending.

Local businesses including shopping malls, restaurants and cinemas reported a sharp drop in sales as people shunned public venues with large crowds.

The government recently announced a 22 trillion won ($19.8 billion) stimulus package, much of which was aimed at supporting businesses hurt by the MERS crisis.

The tourism industry was hit particularly hard, with the number of foreign visitors plunging by over 40 percent in June compared to a year ago, and a further 60 percent in the first two weeks of July.

Seoul plans to spend up to 30 billion won on campaigns to lure back travellers including free promotional tours and large concerts by big-name K-pop stars, vice tourism minister Kim Chong told foreign reporters last week. –AFP

FaceBook WhatsApp
 
HOME  
 
 

Tell us what you think:

Your email address will not be published.

FaceBook WhatsApp
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
About Us   |   Anchor Profiles   |   Online Advertising   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Apps   |   FAQs   |   Authors   |   Comment Policy
Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   YouTube   |   WhatsApp