A group representing Muslims in France is filing a lawsuit against Facebook and YouTube over the broadcast of a video showing the mass shootings at two mosques in New Zealand on March 15.
The French Council of the Muslim Faith, a governmental body that represents millions of Muslims in France, said it is suing the tech companies for “broadcasting a message with violent content abetting terrorism or of a nature likely to seriously violate human dignity and liable to be seen by a minor.”
In France, these types of offences can be punished by three years imprisonment and a fine of 75,000 euros, The Guardian reported.
However, Facebook said it “quickly” removed the live video showing the killing of 50 people.
Last week, New Zealand’s three main telecoms released a scathing letter to the CEOs of Twitter, Google and Facebook, calling on them to take more proactive steps to remove this type of content in advance.
The 15 March shootings at two mosques in New Zealand, which killed 50, were live-streamed on Facebook and then copied and shared across social media. Nine Pakistanis died in the attack.