Thursday, November 14, 2019  | 16 Rabiulawal, 1441 | BETA
Samaa TV
Facebook Twitter Youtube
You are here:    Home      Posts tagged "child marriage"

Sukkur woman arrested for ‘selling’ 11-year-old daughter’s hand in marriage

The police stopped the marriage, registered a case

Read More

November 11, 2019


Senate passes bill setting legal marriage age above 18

PPP’s Sherry Rehman says 21% Pakistanis marry before turning 18

Read More

April 29, 2019


Sujawal police arrest three for attempted child marriage

First underage marriage case lodged in Sujawal since 1922

Read More

April 14, 2019


Man arrested for getting his nine-year-old son married in Faisalabad

The marriage officiant has also been arrested

Read More

April 3, 2019


Pakistan set to raise minimum marriageable age to 18 after govt says it has no objections

Senator Sherry Rehman presented an amendment to the child marriage act

Read More

January 30, 2019


Young woman married off to 40-year-old man on jirga’s order in Mardan

Police have taken the 14-year-old in protective custody

Read More

November 25, 2018


Village elders order marriage of six-year-old girl in Pakpattan

A panchayat, comprised of village elders, in Pakpattan, Punjab has ordered that a six-year-old girl be married off because her brother married the woman of his choice. The girl will be married off to her sister-in-law’s brother. In order to protect her, the girl’s father has taken her and gone in to hiding. The SHO…

Read More

June 23, 2018


The teen brides of Sukkur

Report by: Sahil Jogi SUKKUR: Underage girls aged between 12 to 13 years are still being married off in Sukkur’s surroundings. The age-old tradition of watta-satta (barter) marriages is still practiced in Panjaghar, a village in Sukkur, Sindh. The law has practically no hold in the area as personnel from Sadhuja police station dread stepping…

Read More

March 15, 2018


Senate Committee approves Child Marriage Restraint Bill

ISLAMABAD: Senate Standing Committee on Interior Monday approved Child Marriage Restraint Bill after thorough discussion on the matter. The meeting was held under the chairmanship of Senator A Rehman Malik here at the committee room of Parliament House.The chairman observed that in Islam, age for marriage of girl was not fixed, while the United Nations…

Read More

October 23, 2017


This 15-year-old Indian girl is waging a war against child marriage

JAIPUR: Priya Jangid, 15, a resident of a dusty village in Alwar, India, had refused to become a bride at the age of 10. And in the five years that followed, she has instead become a crusader against child marriage in her village, reported Times of India. Helped by Nobel Laureate Kailash Sathyarthi’s organization, Bachpan…

Read More

October 12, 2017


Sex with wife who is under 18 is rape, rules India top court

NEW DELHI: In a landmark verdict, the Indian Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday ruled that sex with a wife who is under 18 years of age is rape and therefore a crime, reported Times of India. The top court did not rule on ‘marital rape’, which is sexual intercourse forced upon a spouse no matter…

Read More

October 11, 2017


Shocking video of men abducting a girl, beating up her mother is from India

RAJASTHAN: The video of two men abducting a minor girl and beating up her mother became viral on social media. The video is from Bap tehsil of Jodhpur, India. Two men were arrested after a video of them abducting a minor girl and beating up her mother in Bap tehsil of Jodhpur did the rounds…

Read More

September 27, 2017


India’s most controversial drama serial might go off air

NEWS DESK: Tejaswi Prakash starrer Pehredaar Piya Ki has received a lot of negative attention ever since it first aired on TV. The show’s plot deals with a bizarre love story of a nine-year-old boy with an 18-year old girl. While there have been speculations about the show taking a leap or making the changes…

Read More

August 29, 2017


Classmates rescue Indian child bride

NEW DELHI: An Indian teenager sent to live with a much older husband who she married aged just 11 has returned to school after being rescued by her classmates, a children’s charity said Thursday. The 16-year-old girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was married off by her family in the western state of…

Read More

July 6, 2017


Another bid for child marriage foiled

Parents who were holding the marriage of their minor children in Shikarpur, have been arrested and their children have been shifted to Women Protection Cell. Watch this video report.

Read More

January 18, 2017


Of Women and Marriage Fatwas

One of the most predictable things about Fatwas issued in our country is, approximately 90% of them are centered around women. Ironically again, perhaps only 5 % of these are designed for the welfare of womenkind (even this is an exaggerated figure). The rest of 95% are about the do’s and don’ts to be scrupulously…

Read More

March 19, 2014