Friday, May 7, 2021  | 24 Ramadhan, 1442
Samaa TV
Facebook Twitter Youtube
HOME > Sports

Pakistan needs more Hafiz Saeed proof

Staff Report MULTAN: Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said that the government will take action against Hafiz Saeed if India provides strong evidence against him. Talking to journalists on Friday at the Multan airport, FO Qureshi said that all issues with India would be resolved through dialogue. “Pakistan will not allow anyone to...

SAMAA | - Posted: Aug 22, 2009 | Last Updated: 12 years ago
SAMAA |
Posted: Aug 22, 2009 | Last Updated: 12 years ago
Pakistan needs more Hafiz Saeed proof

Staff Report

MULTAN: Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said that the government will take action against Hafiz Saeed if India provides strong evidence against him.

Talking to journalists on Friday at the Multan airport, FO Qureshi said that all issues with India would be resolved through dialogue. “Pakistan will not allow anyone to use its soil for terrorist activities,” he reiterated.

Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, chief of an Islamic charity Jamaat-ud-Dawa, was detained under house arrest last year as part of Pakistan's investigation into the Mumbai attacks.

Qureshi said that relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan will improve with the presidential election.

He said that the issue of former President Pervez Musharraf was not discussed when US envoy Richard Holbrooke visited Pakistan and that we were under no external pressure on it.

AGENCIES ADD: India gave Pakistan Friday a new dossier of evidence to prosecute Hafiz Saeed, the suspected mastermind of the three-day carnage that killed 166 people in Mumbai in November, television channels said.

The new dossier on Saeed, founder of a Pakistani militant group blamed for the attacks on Mumbai, comes two weeks after Islamabad said evidence supplied by India against Saeed was too weak to prosecute him.

Indian officials have insisted Pakistan has enough evidence to successfully prosecute leaders of the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, including Saeed.

Times Now news channel and other television channels said the dossier on Saeed's involvement was handed over to Pakistani High Commissioner Shahid Malik by Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao after a meeting in New Delhi.

No immediate comment was available from the foreign ministry.

Saeed was detained in the wake of the Mumbai attacks after a U.N. Security Council resolution put him on a list of people and organizations supporting al Qaeda.

But in June, the Lahore High Court released him on grounds of insufficient evidence, prompting the Pakistan government to lodge an appeal with the Supreme Court for his re-arrest. SAMAA

FaceBook WhatsApp
 
HOME  
 
 
RELATED STORIES

Tell us what you think:

Your email address will not be published.

FaceBook WhatsApp
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
About Us   |   Anchor Profiles   |   Online Advertising   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Apps   |   FAQs   |   Authors   |   Comment Policy
Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   YouTube   |   WhatsApp