Indian governor feels firecracker ban on Diwali is ‘anti-Hindu’ order

October 11, 2017
Published in Social Buzz

NEW DELHI: Tripura’s governor Tathagata Roy believes a Supreme Court (SC) ban on fireworks in Delhi during Diwali is an “anti-Hindu” order, reported Times of India.

Roy also believes the order on fireworks was influenced by those artistes and writers who last year returned their State awards to protest what they called “rising intolerance”.

The Tripura governor took to Twitter late yesterday to express his outrage.

“First, they targeted the ‘Dahi handi’ custom, now its fireworks, perhaps tomorrow the ‘award wapsi gang’ will use environmental pollution as an excuse to call for an end to Hindus cremating their dead,” Roy tweeted.

The SC had on Monday banned the sale of fireworks during Diwali in the Delhi-NCR region. Roy wasn’t the only one to speak against the SC order.

A minister in Madhya Pradesh, Bhupendra Singh, said it wouldn’t be ‘Ram rajya’ without fireworks during Diwali.

“We talk and dream of Ram rajya. What is the point if we are not able to celebrate Diwali, the celebrations that mark the homecoming of Lord Rama from a 14- year exile,” said Singh, according to PTI.

He also said that fireworks on one day wouldn’t do much harm to the environment, and invited residents of Delhi-NCR to go to Madhya Pradesh to celebrate Diwali – with fireworks, of course.


Email This Post

Story first published: 11th October 2017

 
 

Click to Comment

Your email address will not be published.