Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah has said that despite a shortfall in the federal transfers of funds, the provincial government is making efforts to carry out development activities so that maximum uplift schemes can be completed this year.
He said this on Friday while presiding over a meeting to review the fiscal position of the province. The meeting was attended by Chief Secretary Mumtaz Shah, Secretary Planning and Development Mohammad Waseem, Principal Secretary Sajid Jamal Abro, Secretary Finance Najam Shah and senior officers of the P&D and finance departments.
The chief minister was told that the total outlay of the provincial budget was Rs1,124 billion against which total expenditures of Rs1,1445 billion have been estimated. It meant there was a shortfall of Rs20.5 billion.
The finance secretary told the CM that there were Rs773.2 billion non-development expenditures against which the chief minister approved a deduction of Rs73.2 billion and fixed non-development expenditures at Rs700 billion.
Waseem told the chair that 1,965 development schemes were going on in the province. Of them, 710 would be completed by June. He said that these 710 development schemes had an allocation of Rs42.7 billion against which Rs34.9 billion have been released and Rs7.8 billion were still required to complete them.
Waseem said that there were 451 priority schemes of Rs73.3 billion against which 29.1 billion have been released and Rs11 billion are yet to be released. The chief minister said that he would try to arrange Rs11 billion for completion of the priority schemes.
The meeting was told that the federal government was supposed to release Rs665.1 billion during the current financial year but the provincial government has received only Rs390.2 billion so far.