They should be booked under terrorism charges, it recommends
The judicial inquiry in the murder case of 21-year-old Usama Satti, who was killed in a police shootout in Islamabad’s G/10, has been completed.
An anti-terrorism court has declared the five accused officers of the anti-terror squad guilty and has appealed to file a case against them under the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997.
Constable Muhammad Mustafa, Superintendent Hafiz Ikhtikar Ahmed, Constable Mudassar Mukhtiar, Constable Shakeel Ahmed, and Constable Saeed Ahmed fired 17 bullets at the victim’s car of which six hit him.
The inquiry report has called out the SP and DSP for their “carelessness” as well and has ordered an investigation against them. It has been submitted to the Home Department.
The report, which was prepared by Additional Deputy Commissioner Rana Muhammad Waqas, points out that ATS officers should be appointed not only on the basis of their physical performance but their mental health as well.
“The system of police monitoring is weak,” it revealed, adding that the inspector general should improve the technology being used by the police.
Officers of the anti-terror squad should not be given permission to work with police and their services should not be accepted without seeking permission from the SP, the report concluded.
Usama Satti was killed on January 2 night after the Islamabad police personnel opened fire at him for not stopping his car near Sector G-10.
According to his family, the 21-year-old was coming back after dropping a friend to university when the incident took place. “He was shot just for not stopping his car,” the victim’s father said in a video statement.
His parents filed a complaint against the police officials demanding action be taken against them immediately.
Following this, five officers of the Anti-Terrorism Squad were arrested. A Joint Investigation Team has been formed by the Islamabad chief commissioner to investigate the killing. The JIT is being headed by Saddar SP Sarfaraz Virk and will include representatives from the ISI, MI and IB as well as the Ramna DSP, Investigation DSP, and Ramna SHO.
Last week, the accused police officers were sacked from their jobs. Cases under sections 302 (murder), 148 (rioting armed with a deadly weapon) and 149 (every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object) of the Pakistan Penal Code have been registered against them at Islamabad’s Ramna police station.
The police claimed they had received news of a dacoit escaping in a white car. “The policemen asked the man to stop the car but when he didn’t, they opened fire at him,” a police officer had said, claiming that two bullets hit him.
A medical report by the PIMS Hospital revealed, however, that six bullets hit the victim, while 17 were fired. The bullets hit him in the face, chest, neck and head.
The Islamabad Operations DIG has formed teams to investigate the matter. The CCTV footage was being obtained and evidence from the crime scene was being collected, according to the police.
Interior Minister Sheikh Rasheed said the perpetrators will be punished and action will be taken against them under the Anti-Terrorism Act and Section 302 (murder) of the Pakistan Penal Code.
In a press conference on January 5, Usama’s father said that his son was “murdered” by the Islamabad police and it was not an accident.
He said his son was pulled out of the car and shot six times in the face, legs, head and chest. “There are no signs of blood on the car’s seat.”
“How can they [the police] shoot someone in the leg from outside the car,” the victim’s father questioned, reiterating that his son was deliberately shot dead.
Nadeem noted that if the police were chasing him, how come there were bullet marks on the car’s bonnet and windshield.
He quoted a senior police official as saying that the incident occurred because of the “carelessness” on the police’s part. “It was nothing but a murder,” the victim’s father said.
He demanded that the accused police officials be hanged till death. “The Supreme Court must take a suo motu notice of the attack,” he said, adding that a free trial must be conducted as soon as possible.