HOME > Living

‘Targeted operation’ in Karachi’s Landhi leaves family homeless

April 15 , 2019

A man who bought a plot of land on a storm water drain in Landhi for one million rupees became the target of a demolition squad last week despite pleading with the authorities.

“The XEN took money from me and gave me permission to build a house in 2015,” said Muhammad Imran. XENs are executive engineers. He identified the man as Muhammad Anis and said he bought the plots from the KDA Site Office in Landhi.

“Where were the KDA higher authorities when I was constructing my house on these plots?” he asked. He added that they demolished his house but had sold those plots to other people. “Now they are saying that the plots belong to another person and I am squatting illegally,” he said.

Related: 200 shops demolished in Karachi’s Landhi

The demolition squad arrived in Landhi’s Sector 6-D and razed the houses built on 100sq yards and 60sq yards. The work was done by the Estate and Enforcement wing of the Karachi Development Authority and the team was headed by an assistant director of demolition, Saeed Khan.

The Supreme Court has told Karachi’s civic agencies that they cannot demolish any house without giving the people 45 days’ notice. The family said that they had not been told. For his part, Muhammad Saeed Khan said that the action was being taken on orders passed by the provincial ombudsman and that the Site office had issued a notice to the family.

With reporting by Sohail Rab Khan

 
TOPICS:


Tell us what you think:

Your email address will not be published.

 
RELATED STORIES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
MOST READ