LATEST NEWS LIFE&STYLE MONEY SPORTS TECHNOLOGY OPINION VIDEO

Six Pakistanis injured in Christchurch terror attacks pass away: FO


An old photograph of Naeem Rashid and his son Talha. Photo: Naeem Rashid\ Facebook

Six Pakistanis injured in the Christchurch terror attack in New Zealand have passed away, the Foreign Office confirmed Saturday evening.

The deceased have been identified as Naeem Rashid and his 22-year-old son Talha Naeem, Sohail Shahid, Syed Jahandad Ali, Syed Areeb Ahmed and Mehboob Haroon, the Foreign Office of Pakistan said.

Earlier today, Naeem and Talha’s family had also confirmed the deaths of the two Pakistanis. They were informed by the New Zealand government of their deaths at a local hospital. Currently, three Pakistanis, who could not be identified, are still missing, the foreign office spokesperson said.

Related: Primary suspect in deadly Christchurch shooting charged with murder

Pakistan Association of New Zealand General Secretary Asim Mukhtar reported that currently six Pakistanis have died, one is injured and three are missing. He identified the injured as 65-year-old Mohammad Amin who was visiting New Zealand and is currently in the hospital. He said no information on the death or injury of three more persons – Zeeshan Ahmed and his parents Karam Bibi and Ghulam Rasool – has been received yet. He said he would be visiting the ICU of the hospital to check their whereabouts.

“Mr Naeem Rasheed and his son will be buried in Christchurch. Arrangements for the burial are in place. Muslim [and] Pakistani Association in the city has assisted in arrangements. Mission is working with families of other 4 victims for possible transport of dead bodies to Pakistan,” tweeted Foreign Office Spokesperson Mohammad Faisal.

Deputy High Commissioner Syed Moazzam Shah told SAMAA TV Friday night that five people had been reported missing. He said that the injured had been shifted to different hospitals and 97 were still unidentified.

On Saturday, a New Zealand court charged the primary suspect in the shootings with murder. The 28-year-old Australian, identified as Brenton Harrison Tarrant, killed 49 people and injured 48 others after he opened fire at two mosques in Christchurch on Friday.

Related: Four Pakistanis injured, five reported missing in mass shooting at New Zealand mosques: FO

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden had called it a dark day in the country’s history and declared it an act of terrorism.

As of Saturday, 39 people are still in the hospital, with 11 in intensive care.

Authorities have two other suspects in custody. One has been identified as 18-year-old Daniel John Burrough while the other remains unidentified. Tarrant is scheduled to appear in court again on April 5 while Burrough will appear before a court today (Saturday).

Follow SAMAA English on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.