Federal Power Minister Omar Ayub Khan has announced that Karachi will be given an additional 300 megawatts.
We will fulfill all the power requirements of the residents of the city no matter what, the minister told the media in Islamabad on Friday.
He said the government will fulfill the K-Electric’s demand for additional electricity.
It is not necessary that all demands in connection with power supply will be met on time, the power minister said at a ceremony earlier held in the day. “We don’t have surplus electricity,” he pointed out.
“The Port Qasim plant is down for repair work today. And tomorrow, some other private power plant may break down due to a malfunction. You don’t get seamless power supply all the time,” he reminded the people.
But the minister said that high transmission lines have been upgraded for the summer season. It will help plug line losses and facilitate the supply of an additional 2000MW in the system.
He said, however, that the spell of power outages will continue in areas where electricity is stolen.
K-Electric Chief Executive Officer Moonis Alvi had earlier written a letter to the federal government, seeking 300MW of additional power from the national grid to meet the city’s peak summer demand.
The power division was told that a power shortfall of around 600 megawatts is feared in Karachi during the peak summer period.