HOME > Government

Death toll of Pakistanis in Christchurch attacks rises to 9

March 17 , 2019

Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue in New Zealand’s Christchurch. Photo: EPA

The death toll of Pakistani killed in the Christchurch terror attack in New Zealand has risen to nine, the foreign office said Sunday morning.

On Saturday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that six Pakistanis have been killed and three people were missing. They have been identified now taking the death toll to nine.

The deceased have been identified as Zeeshan Raza, his father Ghulam Hussain and mother Karam Bibi. They belonged to Karachi.

Related: Six Pakistanis injured in Christchurch terror attacks pass away: FO

Others killed in attack include Naeem Rashid and his 22-year-old son Talha Naeem, Sohail Shahid, Syed Jahandad Ali, Syed Areeb Ahmed and Mehboob Haroon.

All of the Pakistanis have been identified now, said Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal.

The foreign ministry has assured the family of the deceased that it is taking all steps to facilitate visa process of them. Naeem Rashid’s mother and Mehboob Haroon’s family have applied for visa.

Related: Primary suspect in deadly Christchurch shooting charged with murder

Pakistan Association of New Zealand General Secretary Asim Mukhtar reported that one Pakistani is in ICU. He identified the injured as 65-year-old Mohammad Amin who was visiting New Zealand.

“Mr Naeem Rasheed and his son will be buried in Christchurch. Arrangements for the burial are in place. Muslim [and] Pakistani Association in the city has assisted in arrangements. Mission is working with families of other four victims for possible transport of dead bodies to Pakistan,” tweeted Foreign Office Spokesperson Mohammad Faisal.

Deputy High Commissioner Syed Moazzam Shah told SAMAA TV Friday night that five people had been reported missing. He said that the injured had been shifted to different hospitals and 97 were still unidentified.

On Saturday, a New Zealand court charged the primary suspect in the shootings with murder. The 28-year-old Australian, identified as Brenton Harrison Tarrant, killed 49 people and injured 48 others after he opened fire at two mosques in Christchurch on Friday.

Related: Four Pakistanis injured, five reported missing in mass shooting at New Zealand mosques: FO

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden had called it a dark day in the country’s history and declared it an act of terrorism.

 

Follow SAMAA English on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

 


Tell us what you think:

Your email address will not be published.

 
RELATED STORIES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
MOST READ