Wednesday, June 26, 2019  | 22 Shawwal, 1440 | BETA
Samaa TV
Facebook Twitter Youtube
HOME > Government

Postmortem examinations completed of minors who died of ‘food poisoning’ in Karachi’s DHA

November 12, 2018
 
Samples have been sent to Islamabad and results are expected in a week



The postmortem examinations of two children who died in Karachi’s DHA on Saturday, ostensibly from food poisoning, were conducted and samples have been sent to Islamabad for analysis.

The postmortem examinations of the two brothers, Ahmed aged 1.5 years and Mohammad, five, were conducted at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre. The police have sent samples for a chemical test to Islamabad and the results will take around one week. The bodies have been handed over to the family.

Additional police surgeon Dr Shiraz said that the examinations were conducted according to international standards. He said that the cause of death seems to be food poisoning.

Ahmed and Mohammad died on Saturday night after eating food from two places – Arizona Grill and Chunky Monkey. They ate candy floss at Chunky Monkey and went to Arizona Grill in Zamzama for dinner with their mother.

Related: Two children die after eating ‘unhygienic food’ at Karachi restaurant

The next day, both kids and their mother were sick. At around 2:45pm they were brought to a private hospital, confirmed Dr Alamgir Ahmed. The youngest died before reaching the hospital.

The woman’s uncle and brother-in-law brought them to the hospital. Her husband was in Lahore for his construction business. All three have been questioned by the police. They were residents of DHA Phase VIII’s Creek Vista Apartments.

A committee has been formed, to be headed by Clifton ASP Suhai Aziz, to investigate what happened. So far, CCTV footage has been seized from the restaurant and six employees taken into custody.

Related: Muzaffargarh woman sentenced to life in prison for poisoning family

The mother has also recorded her statement.

According to the Karachi AIG, both kitchens have been sealed. Sindh Food Authority Director Abrar Sheikh visited the restaurant and said old food was stored in the fridge. Samples have been taken, he said, adding that they have sealed the restaurant’s outlet for not following hygiene standards.

Governor Imran Ismail has also taken notice of the deaths and has ordered the AIG to find out who’s responsible.
 
 
RELATED STORIES
 

Tell us what you think:

Your email address will not be published.

 
 
 
 
 
 
MOST READ