The PTI announced on Friday that Sardar Usman Buzdar will be its candidate for the office of the chief minister of Punjab. Prime Minister Imran Khan said in a video message shared on social media that Buzdar is the “perfect candidate for the Punjab CM post”.
However, Buzdar might not be as squeaky cleans as Imran thinks.
Imran had said during a party meeting that “We will give Punjab a chief minister who has never been accused of any crime”. But 18 years ago, Buzdar was involved in a case of six people’s murder. The case was settled after he paid the victim’s family blood money.
The verdict in the case was announced by an anti-terrorism court in Dera Ghazi Khan on January 1, 2000. The case against Buzdar was registered in 1998.
Buzdar, his father and brother are among other suspects mentioned in the FIR. The Punjab MPA settled the case by paying the victim’s family blood money.
Buzdar know the problems of the poor, as he himself is poor, said Imran. “He is the only MPA in the country who does not have electricity at his home,” the prime minister had added in the video.
However, it turns out that Buzdar is not as poor as Imran thinks he is.
According to documents that Buzdar submitted to the Election Commission of Pakistan along with his nomination papers, he owns the following properties:
- An 8,400 square yard house in Tonsa Sharif
- A 2,420 square yard plot of land in DG Khan
- Twenty acres of agricultural land in Tonsa Sharif
- A 1,089 square yard plot in Multan
- A 242 square yard house in Multan
- A 605 square yard plot in Tonsa City in his wife’s name
- A 605 square yard plot in Canal City of DG Khan
- A 574 square yard plot in Tonsa Sharif
- A 1,210 square yard plot in wife’s name in Fort Munro, Punjab
- A 300 square yard plot in DG Khan
With additional reporting by Noor ul Huda Shaheen