JACOBABAD: A suicide bomber blew himself up in a Muharram procession, killing at least 22 people including five children and injuring several others on Quetta road on Thursday, officials said.
DIG Larkana while talking to Samaa confirmed number of casualties in the blast. MS Civil Hospital Altaf Waggan said bodies of five children were also moved to the medical facility. "According to preliminary investigation explosion was caused by a suicide bomber," said the DIG.
The police said the blast took place in Lashari Muhalla area of Jacobabad where a large number of people were taking out a procession to commemorate martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain (R.A).
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who is on an official visit to US, has condemned the blast, expressing solidarity with those who lost their loved ones.
Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah has vowed to bring the perpetrators of the blast to book. Sindh Governor Ishratul Ibad has sought a report into the attack from Inspector General Sindh Police.
The blast is the third in a series of attacks of which two occurred in Balochistan since the beginning of Muharram.
On Thursday, a suicide bomber blew himself up in a Imambargah in Bolan area of the province, killing at least 10 people.
A blast targeting a passenger bus in Quetta had killed at least a dozen people last week. The latest attacks in Bolan and Jacobabad have sparked fear of more attacks ahead of Youm-e-Ashur to be observed on Saturday.
Authorities have taken strict security measures in the wake of Muharram across the country, suspending mobile phone services in many cities and deploying heavy contingent of police and paramilitary troops.-SAMAA