ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday addressed upper house of the Parliament and took lawmakers into confidence over 20-point counter-terrorism national plan of action, Samaa reported.
In his address in Senate, the PM hailed National Counter Terrorism Authority (Nacta) for formulating anti-terrorism policy within seven days.
“We are in state of war, we need extraordinary steps in this extraordinary situation… I’m duty bound to take account of every drop of blood of our children… I pray our unity remains intact to give clear message to terrorists,” he said, elaborating on government’s fresh policy.
The PM said the decision to establish military courts was taken unanimously by all political parties. “This is an action plan by entire nation, not by the government and military alone, I firmly believe that parliamentarians will approve this decision.”
The PM has announced the establishment of military courts for terror-related cases in order to accelerate trials, and he has also lifted a six-year moratorium on the death penalty, reinstating it for terrorism-related cases.
On Dec 25, the PM addressed the nation and announcing government’s 20-point counter-terrorism strategy.
1. Implementation on way for the execution of convicts on death row.
2. Special Trial Courts will be constituted under army officers so that the terrorists may not be spared owing to certain loopholes in legal system. These courts will function for two years.
3. No armed outfits or militias will be allowed in the country.
4. NACTA will be reactivated and strengthened.
5. Crackdown will be unleashed against literature promoting hatred, intolerance and extremism.
6. Financial assistance and funding of the terrorists will be wiped out.
7. Proscribed outfits will not be allowed to re-operate with any other name to ensure against their re-emergence.
8. Anti-terrorism Force will be set up.
9. The protection of minorities will be ensured. And, religious extremism and persecution will be staunched by taking effective steps.
10. The religious seminaries will be registered and regularized.
11. Complete ban has been imposed on publicity and glorification of terrorists and their ideology on print and electronic media.
12. The repatriation of the IDPs will be expedited with administrative and development reforms on the way in FATA.
13. Communication networks of terrorist organizations will be dismantled.
14. Tangible actions are being undertaken to stop the promotion of terrorism on social media and internet.
15. Zero-tolerance policy for extremism across Pakistan.
16. Karachi operation will be taken to its logical end.
17. Balochistan government is being fully empowered by all stakeholders for broader political reconciliation.
18. Decisive action is being guaranteed against the elements stoking sectarianism in the country.
19. With the registration of all un-registered illegal refugees, an exhaustive policy is being formulated in connection with Afghan refugees.
20. Fundamental reforms are being expedited to revamp the criminal judicial system in order to strengthen counter-terrorism departments including granting of powers to the provincial CIDs to intercept terrorist communications. – Samaa