165 health workers have died of COVID-19 in Pakistan
More than 11,000 health workers in Pakistan have contracted COVID-19. At least 165 of them have been killed by the virus as of Friday, December 11, 2020.
The Pakistan Medical Association has provided a list of their names so the government could pay compensation to their families in the form of the Shuhuda package announced earlier.
The medical body has requested the public to share the names of any deceased doctor or paramedic the PMA may have missed out. You can contact them on the following numbers from 1pm to 6pm: 0303-2339179, 021-32251159, 021-32254632.
Here are the names we know so far of healthcare professionals who lost their lives fighting at the frontlines:
1. Dr Zubaida Sattar, a gynecologist in Karachi.
2. Dr Abdul Qadir Soomro, medical superintendent Al Khidmat Hospital. Died April 6, 2020.
3. Dr Furqanul Haq, a radiologist in Karachi. Died May 4, 2020.
4. Dr Tahir Almani, an anaesthetist at Tando Muhammad Khan Liaquat University Hospital, Jamshoro. Died May 6, 2020
5. Dr Muhammad Nawaz Gohati, former medical superintendent Malir Hospital, Karachi Social Security Hospital. Died May 9, 2020.
6. Dr Umer Yousuf, medical officer ER, Ashfaq Memorial Hospital, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi. Died May 16, 2020.
7. Dr Zahoor Shaikh, (Rtd) medical officer Larkana at Civil Hospital, Karachi. Died June 2, 2020.
8. Dr Shafquat Ullah Shaikh, deputy MS Khairpur Civil Hospital. Died June 3, 2020
9. Dr Asad, CEO Bahadurabad Zubaida Medical Centre, Karachi. Died June 7, 2020
10. Dr Younus Channa, senior medical officer, Kandkot. Died June 10, 2020.
11. Dr Wilayat Ali Gopang, KMC Civil Hospital, Khairpur. Died June 24, 2020.
12. Dr Syed Fasihuddin, pulmonologist and CEO Taj Consultants Clinic Gulshan, Karachi. Died June 30, 2020.
13. Dr Abdul Ghafoor Dahar, ex-MS Civil Hospital Ubauro. Died July 2, 2020
14. Dr Abdul Latif Yusfani, Hyderabad. Died July 2, 2020.
15. Dr Aftab Memon, physician and nursery in-charge Dr Ruth Pfau Civil Hospital, Karachi. Died July 3, 2020.
16. Dr Abdus Salam paediatrician and former DMS Sindh Government Hospital Saudabad Malir, Karachi. Died July 4, 2020.
17. Dr Muhammad Ishaq Malik, Chandka Medical College, Larkana.
18. Dr Zaheer Sheikh, anaesthetist, Mirpurkhas. Died July 5, 2020
19. Dr Noshad, Hyderabad.
20. Dr Naeem, ex-DMS Abbasi Shaheed Hospital, Karachi. Died July 9, 2020.
21. Dr Shams Sial, Civil Hospital, Hyderabad. Died July 10, 2020.
22. Dr Erum Zaheer Memon, assistant professor of medicine, Indus Medical College, Tando Muhammad Khan. Died July 11, 2020.
23. Dr Ghulam Murtaza Sheikh, in-charge SMO pulmonology, Civil Hospital, Larkana.
24. Dr A Razzak Qamber, ASM at DHQ Hospital, Umerkot. Died July 12, 2020.
25. Dr Yunis Soomro, orthopaedic surgeon and professor at Civil Hospital, Karachi. Died July 15, 2020.
26. Dr Muhammad Adnan, lecturer at Bilawal Medical College Jamshoro, Hyderabad. Died July 15, 2020.
27. Dr Umar Adnan, paediatrician Karachi Lyari General Hospital. Died July 18, 2020
28. Dr Asif Abbas, family physician at Sindh Government Hospital New Karachi. Died July 18, 2020.
29. Dr Abdul Qadir Memon, Badin. August 13, 2020.
30. Dr Qurban Ali Soomro, chief dental surgeon at Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, Jamshoro. Died September 15, 2020.
31. Dr Razia Shabbir Memon, gynaecologist, Naushero Feroze. Died October 1, 2020.
32. Dr Muhammad Usman, ENT surgeon and ex-HOD ENT at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi. Died October 17, 2020.
33. Dr Shagufta Asif, retired doctor, private hospital, Karachi. Died October 21, 2020.
34. Dr Syed Waqar Ahmed, registrar CPSP and ex-professor at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi. Died October 22, 2020.
35. Prof Dr Nizam ul Hasan, paediatric surgeon, former director of NICH and founder of Child Aid Association. Died November 4, 2020.
36. Dr Nizamuddin Rajput, chief medical officer district central municipal corporation, Karachi. Died November 8, 2020.
37. Prof Rasheed Chaudhry, professor of surgery and ex-director Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi. Died November 29, 2020.
38. Dr Khalid Khan, senior anaesthetist at Liaquat National Hospital, Karachi. Died November 29, 2020.
39. Dr Shahab Yameen chief medical officer at Qatar Hospital Orangi Town, Karachi. Died December 1, 2020.
40. Dr Muhammad Waris, ENT surgeon at Sindh Government Hospital New Karachi. Died December 7, 2020.
41. Dr Rizwan Rasheed, family physician at a private clinic in Gulistan-e-Jauhar. Died December 8, 2020.
42. Dr Yousuf Panja, family physician at a charity hospital, Karachi. Died December 8, 2020.
43. Dr Tahir Amin Choudry, retired chief anaesthetist at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi. Died December 10, 2020.
44. Dr Abdul Sattar Korai, ex-DG Health Sindh and ENT specialist. Died December 10, 2020.
45. Dr Waseem ud Din, paediatrician, Karachi. Died December 10, 2020.