Tuesday, June 18, 2019  | 14 Shawwal, 1440 | BETA
Samaa TV
Facebook Twitter Youtube
HOME > Living

Here’s why you should think twice before getting henna

April 9, 2019

Photo: AFP

Henna, popularly known as Mehndi, has been a part of the sub-continental culture for centuries; a timeless custom symbolising joy and celebration.

A study, however, revealed that it may not be very safe to use, especially for children.

The researchers conducted a quantitative analysis of lead in ready to use henna. The study was carried out in February in Sindh and Punjab.

The amount of lead comes from an artificial chemical additive which is increasingly being used in henna paste to enhance its colour and speed up the drying process.

“The frequent reckless use of henna, particularly lavishly administering it to the children is quite dangerous, although the level of lead found in the commercially available ready to use henna samples are within the permissible safe level,” according to the study.

Related: Why mothers are dying during childbirth in Pakistan

The study said that the frequent reckless use of henna, particularly among the children is dangerous. The amount of lead found in commercially available henna cones were found to be within the permissible safe level.

Follow SAMAA English on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.


Tell us what you think:

Your email address will not be published.