Attack on interior ministry in Kabul over, militants killed

May 30, 2018

A gun and bomb attack on the interior ministy in Kabul is over with all the attackers killed, the Afghan capital’s police chief said, more than an hour after the militants launched their assault.

“The fighting is over, the attackers have all been killed by security forces between the first and second security perimeter,” Kabul police chief Daud Amin said.

A security source told AFP that a clearing operation was ongoing.

Earlier, Taliban attackers including a suicide bomber stormed a police station in southern Afghanistan and killed six police officers.

The bomber detonated an explosive-laden vehicle at the entrance of the police station in Puli Alam, the capital of Logar province, said provincial police spokesman Shapoor Ahmadzai.

Three other attackers then rushed into the police station compound, triggering a half-hour gunbattle with security forces, he said.

“In half an hour security forces killed all the attackers. Unfortunately, three national police and three traffic police were also killed. Eight civilians have also been wounded,” he told AFP.

Shamshad Larwai, the provincial governor’s spokesman, confirmed the details and said the situation was under control, but the blast had damaged the police station.

Also on Wednesday a vehicle bomb in the southern city of Kandahar went off inside a garage, killing three mechanics and wounding 10 people, governor’s spokesman Daud Ahmadi said.

No group immediately claimed responsibility.

Last week 16 people were killed and dozens wounded when a minivan packed with explosives blew up as security forces were trying to defuse it in Kandahar province. – AFP

 
 

Comments are closed.