PARIS: A former Russian policeman convicted of killing 22 women went on trial on Wednesday for 59 more murders in a case that could make him Russia’s most prolific serial killer in recent history.
If Mikhail Popkov is found guilty, he will join the list of the world’s most notorious serial killers over the past two decades.
Here are some of the others:
– Germany, Niels Hoegel: The male nurse was jailed for life in 2015 for murdering two intensive care patients with lethal drugs. In January 2017 investigators said Hoegel was responsible for the deaths of more than 100 patients.
– France, Yvan Keller: In 2006 police in Mulhouse, eastern France, arrested the 46-year-old homeless man, who confessed to 150 murders, mostly of elderly women, before committing suicide. Police believe he had killed at least 25 times since 1989.
– China, Yang Xinhai: Characterised an introverted drifter, he was executed in China in February 2004 after reportedly murdering 67 people during a three-year rampage in the early 2000s.
– United States, Gary Ridgway: He received 48 life sentences in 2003 after he admitted killing 48 prostitutes and runaways in a murder spree that terrified Seattle in the 1980s.
– Colombia, Luis Garavito: He was jailed for 835 years in 2000 for murdering 189 boys aged between eight and 16 over a five-year span until 1996. He gained access to his victims by posing as a charity worker, a travelling salesman, a monk, and a handicapped person, among other disguises.
– Pakistan, Javed Iqbal: He was found guilty in March 2000 and sentenced to death for murdering and mutilating 100 runaway children, dissolving their bodies in acid.
– Britain, Harold Shipman: A general practitioner in northern England, he hanged himself in prison in 2004 four years after being convicted of killing 15 of his elderly patients. An inquiry later found that he had killed more than 250.
– Ukraine, Anatoly Onopryenko: He was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1999 for murdering 52 people, including 10 children, between 1989 and 1996.- Forty-three of his victims died in a five-month killing spree. -afp