Saudi monarch to step down in favor of crown prince

November 17, 2017

NEWS DESK: Saudi monarch King Salman will step down next week and announce his son Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman as his successor, British media reports said.

The 81-year-old king will continue as a ceremonial figurehead, with official leadership of the country resting with his son, reported the Daily Mail.

“Unless something dramatic happens, King Salman will announce the appointment of MBS as King of Saudi Arabia next week,” the source told Daily Mail. “King Salman will play the role of the queen of England. He will only keep the title ‘Custodian of the Holy Shrines’.”

The move is seen as the final step in 32-year-old Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s power grab, which began earlier this month with the arrests of more than 40 princes and government ministers in a corruption probe.

Meanwhile, Saudi media has yet to confirm or deny these reports.