Kabul: Three US troops were killed and another wounded during a joint operation in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province Saturday, the Pentagon said, in the latest so-called insider attack on international forces.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the deaths in the volatile district of Achin, which is also contested by Islamic State jihadists, saying it was carried out by an infiltrator.
The Pentagon said in a statement that the wounded soldier had been evacuated for medical treatment. “This incident is under investigation,” the statement added.
Earlier, provincial spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP that an Afghan commando had opened fire on US troops and was killed in return fire.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed on Twitter that four US soldiers were killed in the attack. The insurgents are known to exaggerate battlefield claims.