Sunday, September 22, 2019  | 22 Muharram, 1441 | BETA
HOME > Entertainment

Mehwish Hayat wants everyone to get over her Tamgha-e-Imtiaz

April 15, 2019

Actor Mehwish Hayat thinks that misconceptions about the film industry make it harder for actors to speak up and raise their voices about major issues, like harassment.

On the #MeToo movement, she said that she is glad that a debate on the topic has started in Pakistan.

Just because we chose to become actors doesn’t mean we have forgotten our morals, she told SAMAA TV on its programme Naya Din.

“Harassment is everywhere and in every industry,” she said. “I am at a position where people may think 10 times before doing or saying anything [inappropriate]. But, there are so many other women who aren’t as lucky.”

Cyberbullying

Hayat received a lot of backlash on social media after she was awarded the Tamgha-i-Imtiaz for her contribution to the film industry.

Related: I support state recognition to all those doing good work, says Mehwish Hayat

She has starred in many blockbusters such as Punjab Nahi Jaungi, Actor in Law, Load Wedding and Jawani Phir Nahi Ani.

There was a section of people who criticised me, she said. “There were some people who asked what have I done for the country and how many wars have I fought.” They didn’t realize that I am an artiste and I got the civil award for my category, she said. She wants everyone to just accept it and move on.

Social media is important but it can be very lethal and affects everyone, she said. “There are no checks and balances,” she added.

“People don’t realize that the work we do is very difficult.” They just look at the final product which looks very glamorous, said Hayat, who added that people don’t know that a lot of hard work goes into acting. “I have been very lucky that my work got noticed,” she said.

Related: Mehwish Hayat dedicates her Tamgha-e-Imtiaz to all girls with big dreams

But for all her fame, Hayat is still human and says thing still affect her. People can’t talk about my personal life when they don’t know anything about me, she said.

Future plans

She will be seen next in Chhalawa. The trailer for it will come out on April 21, she said.

“I play the role of a fearless girl from Punjab,” she said about her character. “She is a go-getter.”

Related: Mehwish Hayat’s Chhalawa teaser is all about falling in love

When asked about her dream project, she said that she would love to be a part of an action movie about a woman superhero. “Hollywood has Wonder Woman, we need one too.”

On marriage, she said that she is married to her work. “There is so much I want to do and achieve,” she said. She said she is “self-sufficient” and can financially support herself. But if she does meet someone she wants to marry, he’ll have to be okay with her being independent. An excellent sense of humour wouldn’t hurt either, said Hayat.

Follow SAMAA English on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

Halima   April 15, 2019 5:08 pm/ Reply

So what if you worked in 3/4 blockbuster movies?Doesn’t mean you deserve this prestigious award!For GOD sake Mehwish!!!!!!

Khalil ul rahman   April 15, 2019 6:59 pm/ Reply

I Congatulates Dear Mehwish.good work.i appreciate ur great acheivement…

Zahara   April 15, 2019 8:48 pm/ Reply

It is a sign of ur hard work .keep goin

SAG-SAD   April 15, 2019 10:28 pm/ Reply

Mehswish good job not only tamgha e imtiaz
    But u deserve minar-e-pakistan

Shoaib   April 15, 2019 10:53 pm/ Reply

Weldone Mahwish Hayat .. You deserve this Award.. Wish you further success..

Nadeem   April 15, 2019 11:16 pm/ Reply

You rightly deserved it for all the good work done so far by you. Good achievement mehwish

Aftab Hayat Khan   April 16, 2019 12:43 am/ Reply

Absolutely injustice. I don’t know why she is trying to prove that she deserve this award. She thinks that people of Pakistan are stupid.
    Selection of her award is exactly like the selection of present government. For God’s sake we Pakistani beg to the selectors let live Pakistan on its own democratic ways. Thanks

Shah ji .   April 16, 2019 10:48 pm/ Reply

I miss you The legend of Pakistan Abdul sattar edhi.
    Selected people doesn’t have any sense of humour.
    Mehwish hayat you said me too is in Pakistan very good platform to said what the woman said like on the women day in Pakistan most womens are said that nikah should be and is that you mean ? And what you say the moral grounds what is the moral grounds in hiace society all of us no about the societies and moral grounds.
    So enjoy your life in Pakistan because you are selected for the many reasons of your work.

Abdullah   April 17, 2019 11:04 am/ Reply

Stay blessed

Engr. Shakeel Ahmed   April 18, 2019 6:44 am/ Reply

Beautiful,Bold and very good actress with tremendous contribution in revival of our film industry.Leave aside whether she deserves or does not deserve Tamgha-e-Imtiaz but must appreciate her work.

Phodoo loog   April 18, 2019 1:31 pm/ Reply

Nargis and her sister are more sutiable for the award they are lethal dancers and actress lol in pakistan pakistan zinda bhag…. Lol