Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei struck a defiant tone toward the United States on Tuesday, casting doubt on the success of nuclear talks even as Tehran’s foreign minister suggested some progress had been made in Geneva.
Khamenei addressed President Donald Trump directly, highlighting what he called the US failure to overthrow Iran’s theocratic establishment since the 1979 Islamic revolution.
“This is a good confession. You will not be able to do this either,” Khamenei said, referencing Trump’s recent remarks that a change in Iran’s government would be “the best thing that could happen.”
Using religious symbolism, Khamenei drew parallels to historical figures who opposed Shia Muslim imams over 1,350 years ago, emphasizing that Iranians “will not pledge allegiance to corrupt leaders like those who are in power in America today.”
He criticized US proposals in nuclear talks, asserting that real negotiations cannot be based on the “foolish” demand that Iran cease all uranium enrichment.
Diplomatic progress in Geneva
Hours after Khamenei’s statement, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi offered a more optimistic view of the talks.
“Compared to the last round, we’ve had very serious discussions, and there was a constructive atmosphere where we exchanged our point of view,” Araghchi said.
He added that the negotiations produced agreements on “some guiding principles” and that a formal document would eventually be drafted. Araghchi expressed hope that the talks could eventually lead to the lifting of harsh US sanctions imposed after Washington’s 2018 withdrawal from the nuclear deal.
Iran’s message of seriousness
State media highlighted Tehran’s commitment to the indirect talks, mediated by Oman, stressing that Iran seeks tangible results.
The US delegation, running parallel discussions on Ukraine and Russia in Switzerland, included special envoy Steve Witkoff and President Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner as lead representatives.







