At least 162 bodies recovered from Egypt migrant shipwreck

September 23, 2016
By: Samaa Web Desk
Published in Global
People gather along the shore of the Mediterranean Sea during a search for victims after a migrant boat capsized, in Al-Beheira, Egypt, September 21, 2016. REUTERS/Stringer FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

People gather along the shore of the Mediterranean Sea during a search for victims after a migrant boat capsized, in Al-Beheira, Egypt, September 21, 2016. REUTERS/Stringer FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

CAIRO: Rescuers recovered at least 162 bodies from a migrant shipwreck off Egypt’s coast by Friday evening, as the search for victims entered its third day.

Survivors have said up to 450 migrants were on board the overcrowded fishing vessel that was heading to Italy from Egypt when it keeled over off the port city of Rosetta on Wednesday.

“The death toll from the illegal migrant boat that capsized off the coast of Rosetta… has risen to 162,” the health ministry said in a statement.

The military said it had rescued 163 survivors and recovery attempts were continuing.

Rescuers had said search operations would focus on the boat’s hold where witnesses said around 100 people had been when the vessel flipped over. Authorities have arrested four suspected people traffickers over the tragedy, the latest in what the UN refugee agency expects to be the deadliest year on record for the Mediterranean.

The accident comes months after the EU border agency Frontex warned that growing numbers of Europe-bound migrants were using Egypt as a departure point for the dangerous voyage. – AFP

 


Email This Post

Story first published: 23rd September 2016

 

Tags:


 

Click to Comment

Your email address will not be published.